Monday, July 11, 2016

Different Rhythms

Work rhythms are deeply entrenched in us and, like cycles of the moon or an ocean’s tides, they provide shape and meaning to our lives. So, what happens when the work rhythms start to subside?

The best advice from friends is that it takes six months to establish a new rhythm of life in retirement. Until then, I plan to be patient, quiet and observant.

I’ve already noticed that my patience has grown. Those who still follow the cycle of work (my wife, for example), will be stretched at their job sometimes; and when that happens I can be of use by remaining quiet and listening carefully. The rewards are obvious and, so far, it seems to be calming for others in my life, too.

Life moves so quickly these days. We want to stop but can’t seem to find the time. Now, I do have the time but still need to remember to take a moment to be quiet and reflect. Thankfully, Vancouver has plentiful water this summer so a good solution is a bath without lights, without music, without distraction. Just sitting a few minutes and letting my mind wander rejuvenates me.

As I prepare for the arrival of guests from Italy, I’ve had time to observe my home without being in a rush for one reason or another. And, as I ride around UBC on Northwest Marine Drive, I pay attention to the cyclists struggling up the hill and nod my encouragement (sometimes rewarded with a smile from across the road!).


With a busy schedule through to the beginning of August, I may not have time to say more until then. It will be wonderful to attend my daughter’s marriage ceremony and celebrate life and love together.

1 comment:

hyunni's place said...

hi. It looks like you're having a relax time and taking a time to look around is good...